Melvin Baron, PharmD, associate professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Economics & Policy at USC’s School of Pharmacy and Gregory Molina, program administrator at the School, are using the fotonovella format in Spanish and English to educate a low-literate audience in Southern California. To date, topics in the comic-book style novellas include diabetes, asthma and healthful eating. Learn more about how graphics are being used in medicine in the “medpageToday” article.
Norris Medical Library subscribes to both Lexicomp Online, the drug reference database and UpToDate, the evidence-based clinical decision support resource. Now, users can quickly and easily access the content from within both solutions. Linking between pharmacology content in Lexicomp to related disease-state content in UpToDate enables clinicians to instantly connect to the relevant point-of-care information they need to inform their decisions and enhance patient care.
Advantages of bidirectional access from Lexicomp to UpToDate include:
- Efficiency – Clinicians can easily access UpToDate from Lexicomp, or Lexicomp from UpToDate, without having to exit their workflow or open a new browser window; thus, they find the answers they need in less time.
- Greater depth – The combined Lexicomp and UpToDate resources provide an extensive knowledge base for clinicians seeking information to support diagnosis and treatment plans.
- Consistency – Lexicomp and UpToDate content is not just linked – its content is concordant and provides consistency and standardized care between physicians, pharmacists, and nurses.
Eponyms are terms named after a real or imaginary person and occasionally, after a place. Whonamedit.com, a comprehensive dictionary of medical eponyms, contains lists of people by country, alphabetically by name and eponym, as well as an alphabetical list of women. Learn more about some of the diseases, physical exam signs, procedures and anatomic parts named after the familiar and not-so-familiar greats of medicine.
Did you know that the U.S. government has created more than 100 apps and mobile sites offering official information and services available for free download? Many are cross-platform, but not all can be used on every device. Check out the apps and sites below for information you can use: Read the rest of this entry »
Artificial sweeteners taste sweet but are not as rewarding to the brain as sugar. Learn more about what researchers found regarding sugar and artificial sweetener and how they activate the primary taste pathway in the brain.
UpToDate has redesigned the user interface to put key features like Drug Interactions and Practice Changing UpDates on every page.
Enhancements that improve search and usability include:
• Links to the sections and graphics within a topic that are most likely to answer your clinical question
• Customizability allows you to collapse the search results to see more results per page; this setting will be saved if you are logged in
• The topic outline continues to provide a comprehensive overview of all topic sections and graphics
• Find in Topic now displays your search term immediately upon opening
• Improved user interface facilitates navigation by grouping items together in sections in the header and footer
Learn more about the enhanced search results and updated user interface: