Associate Dean, Health Sciences Libraries
University of Southern California
Requisition ID: 2000876
The University of Southern California (USC) seeks a dynamic and innovative individual to provide outstanding leadership for the Health Sciences Libraries (HSL) of the University of Southern California. Reporting to the Dean of USC Libraries, this position oversees the management of the Health Sciences Libraries, comprised of the Norris Medical Library and the Wilson Dental Library, and also serves as the Director of the Norris Medical Library.
The Norris Medical Library is an academic medical research library serving the Schools and Departments of Medicine, Pharmacy, Occupational Science and Biokinesiology/Physical Therapy. It also provides information support to USC’s Keck Medical Center and Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. The library is strongly user focused and committed to providing faculty, students and staff with access to a wide variety of electronic information resources, including books, journals, bioinformatics tools, databases, evidence-based resources and mobile resources. The library contains 147,000 volumes and receives 3,055 current electronic journals. The staff of 37 FTE includes 12 librarians. For additional information, see the library’s web pages http://www.usc.edu/nml.
The Jennifer Ann Wilson Dental Library and Learning Center, located on the University Park Campus in downtown Los Angeles, provides information resources and support for the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry at USC and selectively for the general oral healthcare community and the public. The staff of 8 FTE includes 2 librarians. For additional information, see the library’s web pages wdl.usc.edu.
• Develop and articulate a compelling vision for the USC Health Sciences Libraries in the 21st century.
• Ensure the libraries’ resources and services fully support the educational, research, and clinical missions of the university’s health sciences schools and departments.
• Facilitate library-wide collaborative arrangements among library staff and faculty, students, and other University departments to improve the utilization and delivery of health information resources.
• Establish fiscal, resource, and programmatic priorities.
• Innovate new programs in response to emerging needs.
• Inspire and supervise HSL human resources, provide staff development opportunities, empower and evaluate personnel.
• Maintain an organizational culture of mutual respect, collaborative teamwork, and a high standard of excellence.
• Develop HSL budget requests, specialized reports, and surveys.
• Stay current on academic medical library trends, emerging technologies, and best practices.
• Seek out opportunities for innovative applications of information technology to meet the changing campus needs.
• Serve as liaison to USC Libraries.
• Participate in university governance, committees and task forces.
• Professional involvement. Assume leadership positions in local and national library organizations and contribute to publications and conferences.
QUALIFICATIONS MLS from an ALA-accredited library school and a minimum of seven years’ experience, preferably in an academic health sciences library. Demonstrated successful leadership and management skills. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with culturally diverse personnel and library users. Demonstrated creativity and initiative. Proven ability to articulate a vision and motivate staff.
This position is in a continuing-appointment track, the USC Libraries’ equivalent to tenure. Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
37½ hour week; 22 vacation days; paid sick leave; disability plan; retirement plan (TIAA/CREF and other options); tuition assistance; paid medical, dental and life insurance; credit union; group auto and homeowner’s insurance available.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted via USC’s online faculty application website: http://jobs.usc.edu:80/postings/31340
As part of the application, candidates must upload in Word or PDF a cover letter and curriculum vitae.
For more information about this position, contact Leslie Jones, USC Norris Medical Library, (323) 442 1130, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
USC values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. Members of all racial and ethnic groups are encouraged to apply.