The Web of Science has a new interface with significant search enhancements for Science Citation Index
Revised Search Syntax
The search default has changed from implied adjacency to an implied Boolean “AND” in multiple word search term entries. The use of quotation marks, e.g., “neural network” is now required to search multiple words as an exact phrase. All saved searches and alerts will work as originally entered. If additional sets are added to the saved search or alert, the additional sets will use the new format.
This new feature helps you distinguish between authors publishing by the same name, e.g. John R. Williams and James R. Williams are both indexed as Williams JR. Enter a last name and first initial, then match the list of results with subject category and institution if known.
The Analyze Results option lets you group and rank up to 100,000 search results by categories including author, institution, and source title.
With the Citation Report option you can display a numerical and graphic representation of analyzed results to discover treands or leaders in each field of research.
Citation Alerts notify you by email whenever a designated article has been cited in a new article. To set up a citation alert you must register and sign in. To keep track of the citation activity for all of your papers, create an alert for each one and remember to renew them each year. To create an alert:
- Perform a Citation Search to locate your paper.
- Enter the name under which you publish in the Author box, and Search.
- Find the paper and click on .
- Click on Citation Alert located on the right-side frame.
- Sign in or Register to create your alert.
Improved Results Management
New features include:
- Toolbar that allows you to narrow your retrieval
- Expanded choice of sort options
- Ability to email, print, save or export results directly from the full record or summary page
- Option of viewing the full journal and article title of cited references
Improved Cited Reference Search
New features include:
- Direct links to an index of cited author names, cited work abbreviations, or a list of abbreviated titles
- Expanded title lookup
Additional features of the Updated Interface
- Advanced search features now allow for combining sets
- Number of retrieved results displays at the top of the page
- Option to display summary list of 10, 25, or 50 records per page
Additional information on the Web of Science enhancements is available in sessions prerecorded by the database producer, ISI. You can access these presentations by clicking on the Educational Materials button that appears on the lower center of each Web of Science search screen.