July 10, 2015
We’re excited to annouce the release of our newly redesigned website! In addition to a new look and feel, the new website offers the following features that will improve research and learning for the USC health sciences community.
- Easy access to popular services and resources, such as group room reservation, UpToDate, and more.
- Tabbed search to help you find articles, journals, books and more.
- Event calendar and news to keep you updated on new events, resources, workshops, etc.
- Quick access to selected resources for students, clinicians, instructors, nurses and researchers.
- Instant assistance through chatting online with a librarian. (M-F, 9-5)
- Quick access to general hours, extended hours and holiday hours.
- More accessible via smart phones, tablets and computers.
The image below is a summary of features on our new website. To compare the old website with the new website, click this link: https://nml.usc.edu/files/2015/07/NML_Old_vs_New.pdf
Click for a larger version of this image showing features on the new website.
April 28, 2015
You’ve gone through the pains of completing the research and disseminating the results, but how can you make sure you are fully recognized for the work? Do you like eating pizza? Citing an article is no longer enough to prove impact. Researchers now opt for open access, tweet/like/share on social media, or follow less traditional paths and share raw data. Come to our Tech Lunch Series “Get Credit For Your Research” on Wednesday April 29th in the Norris Medical Library East Conference Room and learn to share not just what research you’ve completed but demonstrate the impact your work has had in the field. We’ll discuss:
- creating a unique researcher ID
- tracking how often your work is cited
- using altmetrics
- identifying data repositories
We’ll also have pizza and bottled water that is sure to have a positive impact on your hunger!
March 20, 2015
Have you ever wished your PowerPoint presentations looked more professional or struggled so long with the software only to have created a handful of slides by the end of the day? Have you felt that PowerPoint was your biggest obstacle to communicating your message?
The Norris Medical Library will offer a hands-on Advanced PowerPoint Training workshop on Tuesday, March 24th from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. in the NML Computer Classroom on the upper level of the library. Come explore the features of PowerPoint 2013 and learn to make professional and attractive presentations. This class covers templates, SmartArt, sophisticated animation, inserting images, audios, videos, and more!
Please register for the workshop, as seating is limited.
March 9, 2015
The library will have extended hours this coming weekend, as follows:
Friday, March 13: 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Saturday, March 14: 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
January 21, 2015
Do you ever feel like searching PubMed is a mystifying ordeal? That perhaps you’re not seeing every citation you think you should? If your PubMed experience is leaving you frustrated, it is time to show that database who is in charge (hint: it is you). This workshop will be held in the Norris Medical Library’s 2nd Floor Computer Classroom on Wednesday, January 28, 2015 from 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Learn more about:
- Searching PubMed with added efficiency
- Strategies for keeping current
- Using MyNCBI to organize searches/results
- New features
Don’t forget to bring your own questions, concerns, or complaints! Our librarians will help you take charge of PubMed!
Please register for the workshop, as space is limited.